Port Olivet Beach
L’Ametlla de Mar’s coastal battery, popularly known as Las Fortifications was set up on the Catalan coast during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) by the Generalitat de Catalunya (the Catalan government) and the 2nd Spanish Republic. The location of this military installation in such a privileged location means that it dominated the entire Gulf of Sant Jordi.
The battery on l’Ametlla de Mar’s coast has three shooting platforms to place the howitzers on and four entrances leading to the interior. Two of the entrances are located on the main road and were used to supply the magazines and store rooms. The two other entrances are located at either end of the shooting platform and were used to supply ammunition for the howitzers.
There are two doors behind the howitzers. These lead to a circular well where the empty shells were deposited. The shooting platform also has a drainage system of trenches that emptied rain water into the sea. The interior of the installations was used as an air raid shelter if there was bombing. Ventilation shafts and fresh water cisterns are located on higher ground.